As mentioned in my last post, let's dive a bit into the visual refresh this website got after moving it to Kirby CMS.

Simpler colors

While the last design was more fun with all the different color themes per page, it became a bit too much for me. Besides that, it also didn't scale very well. That's why I've decided to move back to a simpler color usage. Having a very light, non-white background and simple black and gray colors is enough for me at the current stage.

Revised typography

I've also reverted some earlier typography experiments and went with a more common sans-serif for headings/serif for body text pairing. I've kept the beautiful Aperçu typeface, which now is used for headings, and added Calluna for everything concerning body text.

There is still room for some size and spacing improvements, but so far, I'm delighted with the current state.

Portfolio and case studies

A more prominent addition was the rebirth of my portfolio section. The last version of my personal site didn't have a dedicated page to list or showcase projects I've worked on. This portfolio section now has two clear purposes:

  1. Showcase some case studies that go deeper into past projects
  2. List different other project I do on the side to form a more full picture

Everything besides the individual case studies follow the same subtle vibe of simple black and gray text paired with a solid typography hierarchy. As the case studies should get a bit more prominence, I've wrapped them into their own card-based object. These cards are also the starting point for case-study-based color themes. Every case study gets its own color theme — not as extreme as the old bold color themes, but some sprinkles help.

A bit after I've released the first update, I rediscovered a post on CSS-Tricks I've saved on my Instapaper some weeks back. This post described a stacked cards effect on Corey Ginnivan’s website, which I found so cool I needed to create the same on my case study section (full transparency where this idea originated).


Besides these three main points, there were also some other changes:

  • Removed the /likes page (a place to showcase cool bookmarks)
  • Added a like button to individual posts (only I can see the like amount; the button increases the amount on every individual click)
  • You can still access the older version under different subdomains
  • Added support for a Skip to Content link
  • Used <details> and <summary> in the experience section under /about (better a11y and no JavaScript needed)

I'll keep iterating on different smaller areas, but this was a high-level overview what I did with this site, besides moving to Kirby CMS. Additionally, feel free to take a look at the source code on GitHub.